Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Emergency relief support for people on temporary visas

Financial relief to meet urgent needs during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Red Cross COVID-19 Emergency Relief fund is closed.

All applications will be assessed based on the services and funding available in your state and territory.

Red Cross offers a number of support services to migrants in transition, and a full list of these programs can be found here.

Additional funding

If you are experiencing or at risk of family violence, you can apply for the Family and Domestic Violence Financial Assistance Program.

If you live in Victoria, you can apply for the Extreme Hardship Support Program (EHSP) here. The EHSP fund will close on 31 December 2021.

The New South Wales Extreme Hardship Support Program has closed.

To continue or check the progress of an existing application, login here.

This page is also available in: Arabic | Bengali | Farsi | Hindi | Mandarin | Nepali | Spanish | Tagalog

Red Cross will process any applications that have already been received, which could take up to 4 weeks to complete.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have lost work as a result of lockdown (even with temporary visa status), you may be able to access the Pandemic Disaster Payments, which are available for those who "hold eligible working visas."  More information can be found here, including information in a range of languages.

To apply for other emergency relief support in your state or territory, apply below.

Additional support

If your health or safety is under threat now, please call 000.

If you are an international student, please contact your institution regarding any additional support they may have available. 

If you are a tourist, on a working holiday visa or someone wanting to return to your home country, please contact your embassy or consulate to understand the support they can provide in the first instance.

If you need information about your visa, extensions, travel and other matters, the Home Affairs COVID-19 and the Border and Staying in Australia webpages have detailed information for temporary visa holders.

To search for other services, search AskIzzy or the Department of Social Services.

Additional resources that may be helpful

State and territory resources

Department of Social Services emergency relief providers

Family and Domestic Violence Financial Assistance program

Australian Red Cross’ Family and Domestic Violence (FDV) Financial Assistance program is now open for individuals seeking support and service provider referrals.

The program is available to all people on temporary visas, or with uncertain visa status, experiencing family and domestic violence, in need of financial support.

Learn more about the Family and Domestic Violence Financial Assistance program »

Working in Australia

All workers in Australia have the same rights at work, regardless of where you come from or what visa you have.  Your employer must:

  • Pay you correctly for all time worked
  • Provide a safe workplace 
  • Allowing you to join a union

Red Cross provides support for people who have been affected by labour exploitation, domestic servitude, forced labour, and modern slavery through its Support for Trafficked People’s Program.  More information about the program and these issues (in a range of languages) is available here.

Red Cross Emergency Relief for people on temporary visas or without a visa is funded through the Department of Social Services, individual and corporate donations, LotteryWest and State and Territory Governments.